Today's post is in regard to the new year and making those crucial healthy eating changes. At my work I am able to talk to employees daily about the small changes they can make in their diet to see long lasting results. I would like to share with you the top 5 changes you can make in your diet to loose that weight for good.
1. Follow a 6 meals a day plan. Your hunger/satiety level should always be stable. You should never spike up really high because you have eaten too much and feel overly full. You should also never not eat enough that your hunger level spikes really low and you have low energy level. You should always feel never too hungry or too full. The helps keep your metabolism in line and burn more calories throughout the day.
2. Slow down when eating. Slow down and enjoy your food. Enjoy the company you are eating with. By slowing down you are giving time for your food to digest in your stomach and to tell your brain you are full.
3. Make fruits and vegetables a priority. Fruits and vegetables have so much water and fiber. These are two things that make you fill full and are good for your digestive system. If you are having a hard time incorporating fruits and vegetables into your diet then make a small start. Have a rule that all your snacks will only be fruits and vegetables. That way if you don't have time to integrate them into your main meals, then you have least gotten them in through your daily snacks.
4. Cut out the soda. Have you seen this Coca cola commercial yet?
5. Preparation is key. I believe the greatest way you can make eating healthier a priority is to prepare your food in advance. Think about your meals for the week on the weekend. Purchase those meal items on the weekend. Plan to add an additional 30 minutes onto your grocery shopping trip to cut up fruits and vegetables, cook chicken or fish and place in fridge in Tupperware containers. Make a large batch of brown rice on Sunday afternoon and use it throughout the week in different meals. By having things already cut up and cooked on the weekend it makes breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the weekdays a lot easier. You come home from a long day of work or being with the kids and you have all your salad fixings cut and ready to go and your chicken that just needs to be reheated on the stove.
Try these simple tools to help you on the track to making eating healthier a priority in your life.