Angela here, filling in for Whitney this week. Why, you ask? Well Whitney is in the process of moving this week while her, her daughter, and her husband are super sick. Rough week at their house. Now where is she moving to, you ask? DENVER! Yep, she is moving to come play with me for the rest of the Summer. Ok… really she is moving here because her husband has an internship in Denver this summer. But, I get to benefit from that internship and so will you guys. Because Whitney and I are going to be together this summer, we have some fun things planned for the blog. But, we will get to that at a later date. Oh, suspense!
Today is all about my favorite summer recipe. Now my sisters may be shocked that I actually cook something. Lauren actually goes around telling people that all I do is eat out. Which is not that case at all. In fact I do not remember the last time that we actually ate out. Well dinner at least, there is no harm in meeting my girlfriend's for lunch once a week, ok maybe twice ;) Even though I do cook, I have been known to profess my hatred for cooking quite often. Although, I do not think that I hate cooking. I think that I hate doing dishes. If I cook, then I have to clean. It’s almost a no win situation. Unless, I make something so delicious! Then all the dirty dishes in the world can’t stop me.
Today, I wanted to share one of my favorite summer recipes. I crave this meal at least once a week. In the summer months that is about how often we have it. I LOVE it!
Bell peppers stuffed with feta and couscous. Delicious!
Let’s get started!
What you will need:
- 3-6 Bell peppers (This recipe will stuff 6 peppers. My family can only eat 3 for dinner. Then I eat the rest of the filling for lunch the next day.)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Yellow squash
- 1/2 Yellow onion (I know I have a red onion in the picture. That is all that I had on hand the night that I made this. And a red onion will work, but it is a lot better with a yellow.)
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes, cut in half (not pictured… whoops I forgot)
- 1 cup Feta cheese (you can use regular feta, but sometimes I like to use feta with tomato and basil. That is yummy too.)
- 1 box of Couscous with tomato and lentils
- 2 tsp Olive oil (again not pictured, sorry, but I think you know what it looks like :)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
Let’s get started:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Next, start cooking your couscous according to the directions on the package.
Now start chopping your onion, zucchini and squash. Also cut your cherry tomatoes, but put those to the side for now.
Next cut the tops off of your bell peppers and deseed them.
Place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the pan. When it has heated up add your onion, zuchinni, and squash.
Once your onion, zucchini and squash has started to soften- after about 5 minutes- throw in your cut tomatoes for 1 minute.
Next place your bell peppers in a pot of boiling water. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Set aside upside down to dry.
Once your veggies are done, combine with your couscous and feta.
Next, fill your peppers with the mixture and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.