Mini Comfy Skirt

Monday, August 29, 2011

Remember my Comfy Skirt? Well I finally got around to making one for my adorable niece. I’m calling it a mini comfy skirt. But it is not a mini skirt, just a skirt made for a mini human a.k.a a 3 year old girl :)

DSC08444
DSC08406

This is one of my favorite skirts that I have made. I think mostly because I am in love with the fabric. Tea Party designed by Hokkoh. Love it!
DSC08341

I never offered a tutorial for the comfy skirt. I thought that I would share one today. It is super easy. It can be made for any size. Adult or kid.
DSC08335
For the materials as you can see from above, you will need fabric, 1/8 inch elastic, and you will need 6 safety pins. Then, of course, you will need your thread and other sewing essentials.

This skirt is easy to make in any size. In order to determine how much fabric you will need, just measure around your waste and then add a half yard. This is what worked for my adult skirt, and that is what worked for the mini or child skirt. 

In order to determine how much elastic you will need, just measure your waste and then multiply your waist measurement by 3. This is because you will be wrapping the elastic around the waist 3 times. This should make sense later on if it doesn’t yet.

DSC08339 Step 1: Cut your fabric. I measured from my hip bone to my knee. Then I added:

-5 inches to the adult skirt
         4 inches for the top hem
         1 inch for the bottom hem

-3 inches to the child skirt
          2 inches for the top hem
          1 inch for the bottom hem
DSC08342
DSC05894
DSC05907
DSC084061



























*The reason for adding more to
the top hem of the adult skirt is
because the top ruffle was bigger.
For the adult skirt the ruffle was two
inches. For the kid skirt I only added
1/2 inch for the ruffle.
DSC08349DSC08344 Step 2: Once you have decided how
big you want the ruffle on top, iron
down your hem. Also Iron and pin
down your bottom hem.
DSC08342 Step 3: Draw lines on the inside of
your top hem. The first line you
should be the distance from the
top of the skirt to the bottom of
ruffle. Anywhere from 1/2 to 2 inches.
Then you should draw 5 more lines.
Each of those lines should be 1/4
inch apart. You should have a total
of six lines drawn on the inside of
your skirt.
DSC08353 Step 4: Using the lines that you just drew as reference you will sew 6 lines across the entire top hem of the skirt.
DSC08357 Step 5: Cut your elastic. Just measure your waist, and then cut three pieces of 1/8 inch elastic the size of your waist.
DSC08359 Step 6: Attach safety pins to the ends of your elastic.
DSC08365 Step 8: Pull the elastic through every other open space.
DSC08372 *Once you are done pulling the elastic through, pin it to each end so it stays in place.
DSC08381 Step 9: Sew one vertical line at the end of each side of your skirt. This vertical line is sewn down the 6 horizontal lines you just sewed. You can stop your vertical line at the last of the 6 lines. This will keep your elastic in place. You can now take out your safety pins.
DSC08389 Step 10: Fold your skirt in half and inside out. Sew up your hem. Turn your skirt right side out and DONE!







*Let me know if you have any questions.

It is a fun and comfy skirt! You can embellish it any way you like. This time I added a bow. I was also toying with the idea of adding pockets. Just have fun with it!
DSC08404
41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

12 comments:

  1. Very cute! Found you through the Sew Can Do linky party! Pinning this skirt to make for my daughters!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh cute fabric, and I love the bow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I just did a skirt tutorial on my blog, but this puts a whole new spin on it! Great job!

    I would love to have you share this at my link party, Show & Share

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this and it really does look comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those came out so cute! Not sure it would be flattering on me, but it's looks fab on you.

    I am a new follower from the Show and Tell Linking Party at Blue Cricket Design. If you have a chance stop by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how cute & easy this is - looks like smocking, but has more substance to stay up. I'm featuring this at today's Craftastic Monday party, stop by & grab Featured On button. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME!! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I can't wait to make one for me and two for my baby girls!!

    Come check out our blog if you get the chance. www.yellowmedaisy.com

    Thanks! - Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very easy and is SO cute. I love quick and easy projects. Thanks for sharing. I've added it to my To Do list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and comfy! I love the big bow in the front and the fabric you picked for the skirt! Beautiful job.

    Id LOVE for you to link this up to my new DIY fashion linky party called DIY Diva Thursdays! We party until Monday, so you have plenty of time to link up! I hope to see you there :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela! This is darling! I just featured this today on my blog:

    http://www.oopseydaisyblog.com/2011/09/wednesdays-wowzers-almost-30.html

    Thanks for inspiring!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!! Can this be made using elastic thread instead? Do u know the measurements for the bow? Perfect for Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.