What Can You Do With a Yard of Burlap?

Monday, June 13, 2011

Round 1 of the One Month to Win It competition was devoted to burlap. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I went to the store anyway and bought 1 yard of burlap.

DSC05731

My goal for this competition was to only make things that I was going to actually use. So I narrowed down my use of burlap from “no idea” to “something for my bedroom.” See right now, I am in the process of decorating my bedroom. I have even given myself a deadline to finish it. The deadline is July 6, the date we closed on our house 2 years ago. I think it is about time to have a finished bedroom.

I have a long list of things to accomplish in the next month. A couple of things on the list included redecorating my boring lamp, because it just blended in with my boring walls. Another thing on that list was to redecorate the mirror that sits atop our dresser. It was just too brown. Normally that isn’t a bad thing, but we already have too much brown in the room. I wanted to do something that would be unique and lighten up the room.

First I started with the lamp. I added some burlap. Then I added a cream ruffle along the bottom. Next I added a burnt orange bowtie to the middle. I think the end result is pretty cute.

mirror1

I didn’t think that would be enough for the competition. So I went to the next thing on my list… the mirror.

Apparently burlap covered mirrors just aren’t cool. This was my submission for round one of One Month to Win it. It came in dead last. Another mirror was submitted by the Cluttered Closet and they were out too. Even if this is strange, I do not care. I love it! It is so me! I actually emailed my sisters to remind them to go vote. And Whitney emailed me back saying, “I already voted. I knew exactly which one was yours.”

DSC05722

Seriously, I think if I could wrap myself in burlap and lace and somehow make it look cool and be comfortable, I would do it. Since that is never going to happen, I am just glad that I can wrap my bedroom mirror in it instead. It really does give the room an entirely new feel. I think that is my favorite part about it.

DSC05797

I love the end result, even if it is not a crowd favorite.

DSC05792

*I can even include my husband in that crowd because, I can’t say that my husband appreciates the lace. Although, he was the one that suggested that I ruffle it. I was just going to lay it flat.

Even after the lamp and the mirror, I still had a big pile of burlap scraps left over. So I ended up creating a fabric scrap banner? I don’t know what you would call it. I used a variety of scarps that I had on hand. Shear ribbon, lace, two colors of burlap and some orange and cream fabric.

Here is the start of it:

DSC05641

I added it to the top of our curtains for a little extra fun. Again, my husband is not on board with this. But, I think he would rather have me stop complaining about a sad looking bedroom than argue with my decorating choices :)

mirror2

So even though I am didn’t make it past round 1, I am grateful that One Month to Win it helped me get one step closer to a better bedroom.

And can you believe after all of that, that I still had a pile of scraps?

DSC05643

Well I did, and I put the rest towards some 4th of July décor. I’ll share that with you tomorrow.

41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

7 comments:

  1. so pretty! I love it all! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lamp shade is very cute!
    I like the burlap around the mirror...not so much the lace; but different personalities like different things...so, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. I. love. Seriously, I'm madly in love with this post! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love burlap, everything is darling, im excited to see the 4th of july stuff: )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the combination of the burlap and lace...something rough with something dainty. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so cute!! I will definitely be following you!! :) and will be watching your blog to learn some new things!! I would love it if would check out my blog and follow me back also!!
    -Brooke
    For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lamp! I mean, LOVE IT. I love your mirror, too- Hope you'll try out again!

    I am featuring this today/tomorrow (it's 9:45 pm as I am typing this) on my blog, so I hope you'll hop on over, check it out, and grab a featured button if you like!

    Valerie- http://occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com/2011/06/three-things-thursday-friday.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.