Book Lamp

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Incase you were not aware, Angela is competing in Season 11 of So You Think You're Crafty. Voting for week 3 is up. This week is knock-off week. Head on over to vote for your favorite project.
_______
  
Last weeks theme for the competition was thrift store. I had been wanting to make this book lamp for quite some time. I was glad that I finally had an excuse to get it done.

I really enjoyed working on this project. I got to use a drill. I also learned how to re wire a lamp. It was fun doing something a little different than I normally do when it comes to crafting.
 
SONY DSC

The lamp was not that hard to put together. I started with a few old books, a lamp, and a lamp shade all purchased from the thrift store.

DSC03478 copy

I first measured to find the center of each book. I made sure to mark that spot.

DSC03504

Then I drilled holes through the center of the books.

DSC03505

Then I got to de wire the lamp. I used this diagram that I found on pinterest. It clearly explains how to do so. And after the lamp was stripped down to its skinniest, I slid the books down the lamp.

DSC03508

Next I took the shade off of the lamp. I just wanted to use the base.

DSC03512

I wanted the lamp shade to have the look of a wire basket. I took gardening wire, which is really easy to manipulate, and I wrapped strands around the bare lamp shade…

DSC03513

…just like so. Once I had added enough wire, I spray painted it a metallic bronze color. I was was working on this project outside, just as I started to spray paint the shade it started to rain. I had to hurry and get the lamp and all of the tools inside. I forgot to get a picture of me painting the shade. I think we all know what that looks like.

DSC03517

And then all I had to do was rewire the lamp, using that same diagram from above. Then ta da… I know have my very own book lamp.

SONY DSC
SONY DSC
SONY DSC
41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

10 comments:

  1. Genius. Glad I voted for the right one. :) I thought it was the best. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I just posted my lamp fail on my blog! I took the fabric off the shade and it ended up being in two seperate pieces!! I was stressing out over that thing!!! Yours looks awesome though!!
    Visiting from Show and Tell Party!
    dginnovations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Such a unique lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo cute. I love it and would love if you shared it on my link party.

    http://www.kampenlane.com/2012/04/show-off-monday-3-and-craft.html

    ~Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I mean - I love books and I love lamps, so your creation rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this lamp! Vintage looking books - and that shade!!!
    Shannon
    (www.akadesign.ca)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is toooo cute.
    Im now following you and hope you'll come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and follow back??? THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.