Breezy Summer Skirt Tutorial

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

DSC06225-1

I shared with you a while back, my breezy summer skirt. Today, I thought that I would share the tutorial. It is super easy- less than 10 steps. No zippers, just elastic. Perfect for summer.

What will you need?

  • Sheer fabric
  • Solid fabric for the lining
  • 3/4 inch elastic
  • The regulars- thread and sewing machine

DSC06087-1

*I do not know the name of the fabric that I used. I do know that it is made exclusively for Joann's. That is where you will find it.

Step 1: Hem your fabrics.

DSC06089

Step 2: Sew your sheer fabric and your lining together. Only sew it together at the top of your skirt. Leave the bottom- the parts that you just hemmed- unattached.

DSC06094

Step 3: Pin in your pleats.

DSC06097

*I obviously botched my fabric while I was cutting it. But once I fold the fabric down to make the band for the skirt, you will never be able to tell. So don’t stress too much if your fabric is not cut perfectly.

Step 5: Sew in your pleats. You are going to measure 1 3/4 inch down from the top of your skirt. At that point, you will sew a line across the pleats.

DSC06098-1

DSC06104

* After this you may want to iron the pleats all the way down the rest of the skirt. This will give the pleats a more defined look.

Step 6: Fold down the top of the skirt 1 inch to create the band. Pin it. Sew the band shut along the bottom edge.

DSC06108

Step 7: Pull the elastic threw the band that you have just sewn.

DSC06119

Step 8: Sew the elastic in place.

DSC06120

Step 9: Fold your skirt in half while inside out. Make sure the two fabric edges are aligned. Sew up your skirt. Turn it inside out, and done!

DSC06121

Now you have a comfortable breezy summer skirt at a fraction of the price of the JCrew version. You can wear it will a belt and pair with a fun summer tee and flip flops(my fav option). Or dress it up with a fancy blouse and some heels. The possibilities are endless.

DSC06225-1

Let me know if you have any questions.

41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.