Question of the Day

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dear Lauren,

motivation

What are some great motivational tips to exercise? I feel like I know what to do. I know what works for my body when I do exercise. My biggest problem is motivation! I have none. Help!

Love, Whitney

*Check back later today to find out the answer.

Dear Whitney,

From the comfort of your couch, running shoes are hardly a temptation. Here are two mental tips I use to get moving.

Tip #1

Have you ever been asked to do a good deed for someone, but have hesitated to act because of the time commitment it takes? Then after you contemplate the idea, you decide to perform that act of service and it feels really good. That act of service and the way you felt afterward can be related to exercise. Many times we have to drag our feet to get out and exercise, but once we do it, it makes us feel good and confident about ourselves. Think for a second about how exercising makes your body feel after you do it. For me, I feel strong, lean, and confident. Often, when we aren’t used to exercise, we can feel a little tired and beat after a workout; but the more you stick with it, the more those feelings change for the better. My post-workout feelings provide me the motivation I need to keep doing it over and over again. Sometimes it can take some grudging and dragging of feet to exercise, but once you do it, remember how it makes you feel and allow that feeling to motivate you to do it in the future.




Tip #2

Many times we have to do things for others and not just for ourselves — take making dinner, for example. Some nights it can be hard to find the energy to make a good dinner for your family. But we do it anyway because we have others to watch out for and take care of. The same goes for exercising. Motivation can be found by knowing that you are being an example for your daughter, who will see you living a healthy life by exercising and taking care of your body. Doing a Pilates DVD at home with Kate by your side shows her how important living a healthy lifestyle is. Taking her for a walk around the neighborhood or running with her in a jogging stroller are all ways to set an example. The motivation can also be found knowing that exercising keeps your body healthier in so many ways, so the older you get the longer you can live and be around for your family.



Don’t get me wrong — exercise isn’t always easy, but when you have the right mindset and realize the impact it has on you and your family, hopefully it will be enough incentive for you to come back for more.

I hope this helps you, Whit, along with any others reading this that lack the motivation to get out and exercise!

Love,

What are some of your motivational tips to get yourself to work out?

2 comments:

  1. So I hope you don't mind, your Mom sent me an email asking us to vote on Angie's very very cute Be Mine banner and I noticed the link to this blog. You girls are so so cute!!! I just love your dialogue and man you guys are so darn crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia! I am glad you are reading! we need to come visit you guys at your new place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.